Thursday 5 January 2017

Starting My Visual Journal

Hallelujah god be praised today I finally started my COP journal! 

Better late than never eh?

I started by brainstorming the subject of society and its relationships with line, colour, texture, shape and collage and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of links that I found between them. I was particularly taken with the ideas I was coming up with for line and shape so I started working on these in the actual concertina journal. 

These are what I think are my most successful attempts:





  • For the first one I was thinking about intersecting lines and how we, as members of society have to intersect and co-exists with each other (or try to) to get along in life.
  • The second one was brought about by thinking about diversity, in particular, my Mum when she uses one of her most-used sayings "It takes all sorts to make a world". Which admittedly she mostly uses when she's trying to get her head round someone doing something that she personally wouldn't do, but I guess it is quite true. Our societies are made up of all sorts of people of various sizes, shapes, colours and cultures and that's what makes them so unique.


  • This first one now that I'm looking at it looks a bit like a chocolate chip cookie, but again I was trying to get across the diversity of the people in our societies using mark making. I just sat down with my brush, drew the circle and them filled it with marks using brushes, nibs and inks until my hand hurt. 
  • The second one is the same principle but executed better. 

Going forward:
  • I'm excited to get on with this project because I've actually really enjoyed sitting down and just mark making without having to really think too much about a final outcome or having to make anything resembling a functioning image. I've also been pleased with how much of what we've learnt in our visual language classes has been making its way into my work, I've been trying to use different line qualities that I'd never have thought to use before and pushing myself to experiment more with more diverse techniques.
  • I'm also excited to have my COP tutorial/ presentation thing today to see what everyone else is doing and hopefully get some feedback on whether what I've been doing is in-fact total cack.

No comments:

Post a Comment