Thursday 20 April 2017

Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
The main skill I have developed is my research skills, I have learnt about many more methods such as J Stor and google scholar which give articles not just books as research sources. I think I applied these new research skills really well as I used a wide range of sources to inform my work.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your practical outcomes?
As mentioned before I used J stor, Google Scholar, the library and a range of websites I found myself. I found google scholar to be the most effective as it gives you more options to choose from and often gives you shorter, more concise articles to look at which personally I found easier as I find a lot of heavy reading difficult and confusing. I think this in turn has made sure my physical work in my sketchbook talks about a more narrow subject as I wasn't able to be overwhelmed with lots of less specific information.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
Although I wouldn't call it my best strength one thing thats improved for me this year has been my essay writing skills, I think that writing three small essays has made me better at getting my point across in fewer words. Also the research methods learned here are something I have already carried over into my other modules where we've had to research a topic for more physical work.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

At first I really wasn't motivated as the thought of writing essays confuses and scares me, it was also really daunting to be given a whole massive sketchbook and told we needed to fill it but given no real direction with what we needed to fill it. I filled it in the end by letting my research around Free The Nipple take me off on a tangent, but this has taught me that its a lot easier to talk a lot (physically and through my craft) about things that interest me personally.
I am also aware that I didn't really give as much thought as I should have into selecting appropriate materials and processes in my sketchbook, I tended to just use what I enjoyed using. In the future I will think more about what I am trying to convey with the work and therefore select the materials to mirror that.

5. Identify five things that you feel will benefit you during next years Context of Practice module?
  1. Even more research and around a wider spectrum of things, this will lead to more well rounded findings and then I can select the thing I most enjoy talking about to discuss in an essay
  2. More careful selection of media and being sensitive to what I am trying to convey
  3. More time taken to write essays and then read them back to make sure I am conveying what I want to say properly
  4. More research after the initial research and writing of my essays to support the things I am saying, I cant just be saying what I perceive to be true but rather saying things that can be supported by surveys or studies
  5. I need to get less carried away and excited, although its good to be passionate it often makes me run away with myself and forget the point to what I was actually saying

No comments:

Post a Comment